Friday, May 8, 2015

Journey or Destination?

We start off with learning shapes, numbers and colours.

Soon after, these colours and shapes are used to teach us the alphabet and how to read and write.
Numbers are all of a sudden standing next to each other and sometimes more join or some leave.
Primary school is about 7 years if you lucky, excluding grade R and creche.

No one really understands why the Alphabet Family and Number Crew are in the same sentence, I mean equation. But, it's Math so let us just learn this and practice it to pass the grade.

Oh Gosh, okay...
I need to choose subjects...?
And these subjects will determine what my future career might be. Oh Gosh, uhm.. okay, here goes.
Pure maths, because "Mathematics literacy takes you nowhere", Accounting because "You are good with numbers", Biology because I want to know how exactly these chips make me fat and Consumer Studies because I think we get to make food in class.

Our classes are different, our friends aren't with us every period anymore and they made new friends. Things are getting serious now. The work is really difficult and people are failing. I don't have time to party because I need to study for the tests I'll be writing. I'm not sure I understand what's happening right now, I haven't changed (I think) but my friends are almost all new different people.

APPLICATIONS OPEN

Now that these 5 years of High School are almost over I need to apply to University. "There is no time to think about friends now. You need to think about YOUR future."
Haven't I been doing that since I applied to High School, or when I chose my subjects?

University
Such a different ball game! To most people, the person who they thought they were is long gone by the time they get to 2nd year. 1st year is something like a mixture between grade 8 and Matric - feeling so grown but being so young and foolish.
We spend about 3-7 years in University. Depending on the course studied, the amount of modules failed and how far you plan on taking your education. Being in final year doesn't mean I know who or what I am. I might be a Soon-To-Be-Scientist but I don't know what I'm doing.

Pressure from outside, pressure from within.

Where will I work? What work will I do? Do I study further or even take a year off after graduating?

LIFE, my friends, should be a journey! It should be a structured spontaneous adventure. Having some idea of where you want to be and who you want to be. How you get there is not really your problem. Juggling between a social life, a student study life and .... SLEEP. That's all you need to do (and do your best at it).

One of the most essential things to have is a vision. Having some passion and determination goes a long way when one has a vision for ones life. Life is way too short to see your future as a destination.
Having your own home, being a financial manager(or whichever career), having a family (or not), driving your own car and being an independent worker. What else?? Is that it??

Allow yourself to take yourself on a roadtrip. Let your life tell great stories about how things didn't work out at first but somehow you made things work and being able to say "I can't wait to see where my career/life/God will take me next"

Keep the faith and positivity pumping :)

Love you all
xxxx
Queenery

No comments:

Post a Comment